So, we talked about things we didn’t know earlier. Do you know the source of the takbeer which it is recommended that we say after each fard salaat during the day of Arafat and days of Eid ul Adha? Moulana Ahmed shared this in his lecture:
There are three components of the takbeer:
- Allahu akbar Allahu akbar : Jibreel
- La ilaha illa la wallahu abar: Ibrahim
- Allahu akbar wa lilla il hamd: Ismail
This was said when the animal appeared and the test was deemed successful.
You attend lectures, and you sometimes sigh that you’ve heard all this before. But have you really heard all of it before? Were your ears really listening? Was your heart really engaged?
Moulana Ahmed gave a very stirring lecture to the intimate crowd that turned up to listen to him. We all know the story of Ibrahim saws and the test to sacrifice his beloved son Ismail saws.
But did we know:
- lease Whose daughter was Hajra r.a. (beloved mother of Ismail r.a.)? (Hint – that tribal leader to whom Ibrahim saws said that Saara r.a. was his sister in an attempt to protect against the man’s proclivities)
- That Satan approached each of Ibrahim saws, Ismail saws, and Hajra ra in futile attempts to misguide them from the path of Allah swt? (Why do we stone at three stations at Hajj? Aha – is it because of Ibrahim only, or the three members of his family mentioned here?) (Note – when NoS was asked by Moulana if he was told by his father that he was to sacrifice him, NoS’ response was that father would need to move to Black Rock (the colloquial reference to the ‘mad house’))
- Who was blindfolded – was it Ibrahim saws or Ismail saws?
- Whose shirt was Ismail saws wearing when he lay to be sacrificed? And why? (Hint – consideration for his beloved mother and the grief she would face. Please note that hadith says that he asked for the shirt to be removed so that he could be shrouded in it.)
- What destroyed Nimrod’s army? (Hint – chikV and dengue and malaria carrying little pests)
- What afflicted Nimrod and what gave him ease? (Hint – footwear hurling – is this the source of middle eastern insults?)
- Did Ibrahim saws curse his father or part from him in peace?
- Did the angels cool the fire into which Ibrahim saws was catapulted?
Forget about reverse order – it’s more random order. It is sunnah to refrain from eating on Eid ul Adha until such time as your udhiya has been performed. However, if you do partake (that’s Tim Horton’s hot cocoa btw):
BD – no time for baking this Eid (see further posts for reason), but we give thanks for good friends who do find the time to bake and make sweetmeats. This Eid is sometimes known as the meat Eid for obvious reasons. JazakAllah khair to Sister S:
So, these posts are in reverse. Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary (that sublimely peaceful place) was unavailable at this time, so Wanderer’s (home of cricket in Bim) it was on a lovely sunny Monday morning.
BD after Eid salaah at Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary
Wow, I really haven’t blogged in a while. Eid ul Adha is practically upon us! And I’m now posting about Eid ul Fitr.
Pictures first of the goodies shared with us by others: